Friday, April 25, 2014

No Hitchikers Allowed


This is what I saw this morning out our back window.  At first I thought it was so cute and grabbed my camera because she didn't see me at all and I could get real close.  Then she disappeared on me and I found her inside my bike bag.  Making a nest!!  I panicked!  We will only be here two weeks and not only that - but I will want to use my bike.

So I made the tough choice to go remove the bag from the bike.  It was already almost a wonderful nest.  They had worked very hard on it.  What a great home they had found for their babies.

I barely got back inside the camper when I saw them both sitting on the handlebars looking for the nest.  Oh, did I feel rotten.  I still do.  But better to have it happen now rather than later.  I hope they find a new home soon.

Post Script:  I just felt so badly for the birds (I researched - they are Carolina Wrens) that I took the bike bag and hung it from a lantern hook.  It didn't take long before I saw some activity in it! I guess I will be needing a new one!



1 comment:

Ellen said...

Too cute! And amazing! How good of you to give up your bike bag for the nesting wrens. You have single-handedly made up for many wrongs done to our winged friends over the years, I'm sure. Will hope for an update on this adopted family of yours! Just found your blog and am glad I did!