Thursday, June 12, 2014

Kentucky Update



We haven’t been doing anything to write home about but I do need to update everyone.  I don’t even have a fresh photo.  I was out with Jake this evening and was going to go back for my camera to get some pictures of the sky but got carried away talking to my Ohio neighbors and totally forgot once I got home. 

So this is how our week has gone.  On Friday Kirby visited his new Dermatologist here in Lexington, KY.  They did not put him out but gave him some local anesthesia in his leg and then proceeded to remove the large squamous cell carcinoma cancer that was growing there.  Seventeen staples later they sent him home.  He has done a lot of reading since then.  He is a good sport about all the sun damage that was done while he was a small child growing up in the San Joaquin Valley in California where the summers were sweltering.

I don’t know where the days have gone.  I have made a couple of trips to Walmart and I too have done a lot of reading.

Break – I just looked out the window and decided to try to capture the nasty weather we are having so here is a current photo!

I am reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  It is a Pulizter Prize winner and I am really enjoying it even if the main character is a thirteen year old boy.  Last time I read a book with a young boy as the main character was Catcher in the Rye.  This is much better!  Kirby just finished a book about Flying Cloud, an 1850’s clipper ship.  He loved it!

Today we visited the University of Kentucky’s Dental Clinic.  I am having some dental problems and they were able to get me in for a consultation.  I was so impressed by the whole staff and the doctor.  Again – I think I am falling in love with Kentucky!

Hopefully we will be out exploring the area again soon.  (and sampling some bourbon!) We are so fortunate to have such a great place to be sitting out all this “stuff”.  We just need to get the weather to dry up a bit and Kirby’s leg to heal!

No comments: