Sunday, May 18, 2014

Some Good Brews, Some Not So Good



Rain and cold!  That is what we are experiencing here in North Carolina.  But the beauty of the area and our location in the park are making it A-OK!

We have extended our stay here for an extra 10 days!  We love it and there is so much here to do – especially when the rain ends and it warms up a bit.  We have Asheville just north of us full of charming restaurants and brewing companies.  Asheville is getting quite a reputation for itself as a brew capital!  Right next to us is the North Carolina Arboretum which I can’t wait to explore.  There are hiking trails from easy to difficult all over the place.  The Blue Ridge Parkway runs right by here and just south is Hendersonville with boutique shops, decorated bears in the street and more breweries.
Yesterday we made our first trip to Asheville and sampled some of the brews.  I am deciding that I would rather have a nice glass of wine but most breweries don’t have wine!!  First we visited Asheville Brewing Company and Kirby liked his IPA very much.  I didn’t like my porter very much.  We also shared a very good plate of fish and chips.  Then we found some public parking up town and before we could even get parked a nice lady ran over to us and gave us their unexpired ticket and so we rushed to the parking spot they were vacating and I do believe that gift from a stranger paid for my next brew mistake. 

We walked around town marveling at the strangely dressed young people and the many interesting  shops and ended up at Lexington Avenue Brewing (LAB) where we found a seat at a gorgeous curved bar.  I was started when I looked behind me though and saw that against the wall was a long table with eight year old boys having lunch.  There must have been twenty of them!  I don’t understand why someone would take such young children to a brew pub. We didn’t finish our brews; it was too noisy and they just weren’t that good.  
Twin Leaf Brewing



We found our way back to the parking lot and then went to Twin Leaf Brewing Co.  Their brews were much better and it was a really fun place place.  Kirby ordered our brews, we chose a picnic table and grabbed a tin of Mexican Train dominos off the shelf.  Kirby won but I will beat him next time!

And now we can’t wait to go try some more today!

No comments: