Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sequoia National Forest



We took a trip up to the mountains today.  This is all Kirby’s old stomping grounds and it seemed that every few miles he would remember another story about backpacking, fishing and camping up there.  We both enjoyed the scenery, the fresh air and the trees very much.

Of course I had my camera at ready and asked Kirby to stop along the road here and there.  This first picture is of a water flume.  We watched it for quite a while before we stopped to inspect it closer. At one time it carried water to an old hydroelectric plant that looks rather like a dinosaur today. (no, there was no water in the flume)
We had left home with some cheese and such for a lunch but no cooler and no beer.  We happened upon the Pierpoint Springs Resort and went in search of a Styrofoam cooler.  What a fun little place this was – café with internet, a market (with a Styrofoam cooler and 2 cans of beer), a motel, real estate office and a post office all wrapped into one parcel. Oh, and a gift shop.  I loved it!

Next along the road was what I think was the best part of the whole day!  Cowboys, Cowgirls and Cows! They were moving the whole herd up to higher ground for the summer.  The lead cowboy stopped us and asked us to just go slow down the center line and let the cows go on each side of us.  I couldn’t believe it – a real cowboy talking to us!  So cool! The cows seemed a little irritated with us for getting in their way.
 
We finally made it to the Trail of the 100 Giants in Sequoia National Forest – our destination for the day.  The trees were not disappointing and the trails through the 100 giants was paved and easy walking with benches to sit and admire natures handywork.  The trees are over 2,000 years old!  Can you imagine all that they have seen?  All the thunderstorms, floods and droughts?  They are so majestic and very magical!



We were heading down the hill and I stopped for one more shot but the best one I got was of my two men.  Jake looking out the window at me and Kirby in the mirror.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how I love the Sequoias! I want to go back and hug a tree, that is if I could get my arms around those giants. They are so majestic. Glad you got involved in a cattle drive. I bet it was just as exciting as our horse round up. I loved that.

Unknown said...

Oh how I love the Sequoias! I want to go back and hug a tree, that is if I could get my arms around those giants. They are so majestic. Glad you got involved in a cattle drive. I bet it was just as exciting as our horse round up. I loved that.

Anonymous said...

Such serious expressions
Josh

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, I have always wanted to go there!! Thanks for sharing your pics, makes me feel like I was there with you!!
Sis Patti

judith said...

Looks like a fun trip! Just love traveling with someone that has stories about the places your passing through.