Monday, June 17, 2013

In the Shadow of Mount Shasta



We traveled yesterday from Red Bluff, CA to Valley of the Rogue State Park, Oregon.  It was a gorgeous four and a half hour drive.  It just kept getting better with each mile and when we spotted Mount Shasta my camera came out and I just kept trying to get good pictures of my favorite mountain.
I took this picture through the windshield.  Fortunately Kirby had just cleaned it!
This view was north of Mount Shasta at a rest stop.
It just happens to be one of Kirby’s favorite mountains also because he has climbed it….all the way to the tippy top!  It was about 27 years ago that he did that and loved it so much that he decided to go climb Mount Whitney five days after that!  Crazy man!

I just loved this scene of brightly colored trucks that we passed on the freeway.  As I said, my camera was out and ready so I managed to click and shoot and get this.  I have never seen such colorful trucks and it did liven up the area!

We are all settled in here at Valley of the Rogue.  We sit between the towns of Grants Pass and Medford.  Our site is huge with awesome views of the mountains.  In the meadow behind us are some nice grass-fed steaks growing.  We went to take a look and 6 or 7 young calves came over to check Jake out.  They just lined up at the fence looking at him.  One tried to get close enough to give him a friendly lick but Jake backed away.  Kirby and I each got a little sandpaper lick though!

This park has provided us with a fire ring AND some firewood so maybe tonight we will have a fire.  Today we visited Rogue Creamery and got some delicious blue cheese and a nice loaf of sour dough bread and then went wine tasting at Ledger David Cellars and purchased a bottle of white wine which is currently chilling.  Combine that with two bike rides today and we are just about ready for that bottle!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like my kind of place. Glad all is going well. Exciting to see your adventures. Love you.