Thursday, May 23, 2013

L.A. - Oh, No!!


View from the Back of the RV

Smack dab in the middle of Los Angeles County – that is where we are today!  I never would have believed it!  The name of this place is East Shore RV Park in San Dimas.  It is in the middle of a county park with rolling hills, a lake, big trees, paved roads and lots and lots of bright green grass for Jake!

We sat under the shade of a Jacaranda tree this afternoon after our bike ride and played cards for an hour or so.  It was perfectly warm with only a little breeze passing by us.  Jake is in heaven with all this grass.  He even went running around with excitement! (Jake is fairly old and doesn’t run very often!)
We moved the picnic table under the tree to have lunch and then to play cards.  Nice not having howling wind!
I certainly didn’t expect to find this wonderful place.  The wind forecast for today up on the Grapevine where we were headed was high so we decided to take two days to make the short 186 mile trip from Indio to Gorman.  Today’s trip was 101 miles – such a short easy day that we almost feel guilty – but not really!  When we decided not to travel all the way, I went searching for something in the middle of LA Basin near the I-10 Freeway.  I didn’t think I would find anything at all, certainly not someplace as lovely as this.  If we were staying longer, I would have hoped for a space with a view but for just one night, this is just wonderful!  I am sure it will fill up tomorrow with people coming in for the 3-day weekend but right now all around us are empty spaces.


When we toured on our bikes we noticed that most of the park is filled with permanent residents.  We have seen so much of this on our trip.  It really mystifies me.  I love my RV and love living in it but I didn’t think there were so many others who felt the same way.  (You can tell that they are permanent residents when there is a huge barbeque or lots of potted plants and children’s toys lying about or a skirt on the RV to keep the cold out.)  So, what do you think the deal is?  I know there are a lot of people who move around the country often as contract workers (the park in Meridian, MS was full of these people) but I also think there may be many people who have been really hurt in this depression and maybe lost their homes and are living in their RV.  You have to wonder……

Blossoms on the Jacaranda tree - Incredible!
Tomorrow we will drive our hour and a half to Pyramid Lake RV Park and have a reunion with Jim and Heather!  Can’t wait to see those guys!!

No comments: