Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day Trippin' to Mexico

We spent yesterday in Mexico so please join me on our day trip.  We had a blast!
CLICK ON ANY PICTURE TO ENLARGE IT
Yuma, AZ sits almost on the U.S. - Mexico border and the town of Los Algodones, Mexico is just a short ride on the highway from where we are staying. There is a very large parking area and you just park and then walk across the border to Mexico.

Since it is summer (in Yuma it is anyway - very hot!), there were not too many other people stupid enough to spend the day walking the hot streets of Algodones.  The public restrooms didn't even have a line!
Our goal and the reason we were willing to wander the streets in the heat was that Kirby needed new sunglasses and we were told that they were cheaper in Mexico and just as good.  We had seen an advertisement for Best Optical so went there to check them out.

The selection of frames was amazing.  And all prices from economical to fancy, expensive designer frames.

We waited (we had no appointment) for only about 10 minutes for Anna, the "doctor" who gave Kirby his eye exam.
She was very thorough in her exam and had the latest equipment.  So far so good!
Kirby got to practice his Spanish with Anna and they became great friends.  He always finds the cute girls!
This is Carlos.  I think he was the money person.  He was quite stand-offish until he realized that Kirby could speak Spanish and that I had limited Spanish.  Then he opened up and was a lot of fun!
We were told to come back in two hours for the glasses so we just started wandering around the town.
I made a double take when we passed by this opening on the dirty street.  I backed up and took my picture.  I love the floors and all the color.  It is so "Mexico"!
I was in search of a tienda and was delighted to find this one.  It brought back so many memories  of our years living in Mexico.  (Tienda means Store in Spanish)
I didn't want to look like the rude tourist that I am so I tried to be discrete with my picture taking.  But I HAD to have pictures!
In Mexico, when in the small towns with no supermarket, you buy your eggs by the Kilo (Pound) and put them in a plastic bag.  That always amazed me and I did it and no, I never broke any of my eggs.  But I was very careful!
I can remember that after living in Mexico and shopping there for such a long time, I would come back to the states and have to convert everything in my head from kilos to pounds and then Pesos into Dollars.  Pretty trippy for a non-math brain!
The souvenirs are all so bright and colorful but you have to be careful of the venders - they will not leave you alone for a second.  And with so few customers around - we had all the venders with us each moment.
It was getting pretty hot so we found the place we usually visit while in Algodones for a beer and settled in to pass some pleasant time under the banyan tree listening to Mexican music.

Hot and sweaty but having fun and drinking my favorite beer.  Had to drink fast - it was pushing 100 degrees!
This is the reason for the search for a tienda.  Easy-Off oven cleaner in a jar with a little brush.  Do you remember that?  You can't get it in the states anymore but you can in Mexico.  It is so easy to use on small areas and is much stronger than the spray we have here.  I always by a jar when I visit.
After two hours of playing in Algodones we went back to Best Optical and Kirby's new sunglasses were ready and waiting for him.  After a quick fitting, we were on our way.
Now it is time to head home.  During the winter season the line to get back across the border can be way back here and  beyond.   (these people are venders trying to get us to buy their souvenirs before leaving the country)

It only took us about 8 minutes in line at the border instead of the normal winter season wait of 45 - 60 minutes.

We loved our day and were hot and tired when it was over but it was a great day in Mexico.  Sure, it was a border town but hey, beggar's can't be choosers!  We still LOVE Mexico!

1 comment:

Mike Enault said...

Mexico, the land of pots and purses! Glad you enjoyed "our" little Mexican town.