Sunday, March 30, 2014

Walmart!



We are sitting in Big Spring, Texas in a Walmart parking lot “Waiting On Weather”.  We traveled a long way yesterday and ended up in my childhood home.  I have a lot of pictures and a lot of stories to tell you.

We departed Las Cruces before nine yesterday morning.  The Coachlight Motel and RV Park was certainly acceptable.  Easy in and easy out, we never even unhitched.  We planned to travel as far as Pecos, TX.  What a long and boring drive west Texas is.  Following are some pictures from our drive through El Paso.  It always seems to go on forever.  It looks like a very wealthy city with a lot of thriving industry but right across the border you can see Mexico.  What a contrast.
View of I-10 driving through El Paso, TX

From the freeway we could see Mexico

Then it was into the flats with nothing for miles and miles.  We left Interstate 10 and took off on I-20 which goes right through Big Spring.  We had considered stopping in Van Horn but it was still early so we kept going.  Next was Pecos and we pulled into the RV park I had chosen as the best of the bad.  It was BAD.  And no one was in the office.  We left!  No problem, we will just keep going and stop in Odessa.  I found a place online that sounded pretty good and gave them a call.  The woman who answered the phone didn’t know anything about anything and was making me crazy.  After about 10 minutes on the phone with her I knew it was never going to work.  She didn’t know for sure if she had room and she couldn’t tell me how to get there.  We drove on past Odessa and headed for Big Spring.
Another border check.  We were asked if we were US Citizens and then told to go one.

"Nothing" on I-20 in west Texas

And here we are in a Walmart parking lot!  It really is a cool way to stay somewhere and I think we might do more of it.  It is very handy to have Walmart right in our backyard.  We visited yesterday after getting set up and purchased some fried chicken for our supper.  Not the best in the world but I was starved! The only problem here was that this particular corner of the lot also seems to be the place where the teenagers meet to buy and sell their drugs.  They have expensive noisy cars and big radios.  Once I decided that they were no threat to us or our rig or truck, I got the earplugs and went fast asleep.  And awoke to a wind storm.  We will be staying here for another night and hoping the wind is gone by tomorrow morning. 
Here we are sitting in the Big Spring, TX Walmart parking lot

No comments: