Saturday, September 21, 2013

Blowout!

Yesterday wasn't the best day ever, that is for sure.  We started out from Yuba Lake State Park for the three hour drive to Cedar City, Utah.  The mountains and the views were gorgeous.  At the end of our little highway we merged onto Interstate 70 west.  Our altitude was pretty darned high - over 7,000 feet at times.

I was minding my own business and daydreaming when suddenly Kirby put on the blinker and the brakes and began to pull to the side of the freeway.  Of course I asked what the heck was going on and he replied - "Blowout". 

I was nervous about getting out of the truck on the freeway and even more nervous about going out to the other side to look at what used to be our tire.  What I saw was Unbelievable! I still can't believe the damage that was caused to our rig by the flapping of the rubber before it finally got Kirby's attention and we got stopped.
We got back into the cab with the flasher going click, click, click constantly and Kirby got on the phone with our insurance.  I do love cell phones!!!  What would we have done 30 years ago?  I will tell you.  I was about 18 years old in Colorado returning from work on a Saturday evening.  On the freeway I had some car problems (cars always broke down back then) and I was stuck on the side of the road.  Fortunately for me, there were houses backed up to the freeway.  I climbed a low fence, knocked on a door and used their phone to call home.  Those were the good old days.  No one murdered me or raped me....they only helped a stranger.

Anyway, back to yesterday.  Help arrived even sooner than we had been told it would.  Kirby had the spare ready so it wasn't long before we were Hitchin' to Go!

That is Mike from Sorensen Towing with Kirby.  He was very efficient, knowledgeable and pleasant and he got us going in no time at all!

Not far down the road at Beaver, UT we decided it would be a good thing to have all of the tires looked at.  We stopped at Beaver Tire and the guys there were all over us when they saw our poor beat up rig.  They showed us where all three of our remaining tires were bulging and ready to blow any time.  So scary!!  

Aren't we lucky - we got to buy 4 new tires for our less than year old RV.  I just want to thank Keystone and the rest of the RV community for selling us a tinker toy for an RV.  Oh, did I mention that the day before our sofa broke?  How, you ask, can a sofa break?  Easy - the front just falls off.

A very wise man once told me - "It is never as bad as it seems, and it is never as good as it seems".  James Ward, Charleston, SC

After getting settled in our space in Cedar City, UT we found a barbeque place right out on the street.  You know, one of the mobile ones, and had ourselves a great dinner of pulled pork and cole slaw.  And then we noticed a little fair going on across the street so we gathered up our energy and walked over.  Great artwork and fun people to talk to.  Our day wasn't so bad.  We were still able to go have fun and that is what it is all about for me.  "She who has the most fun wins!"  I am still winning!

4 comments:

Rick and Kathy Rousseau said...

Kathy and I had the same problems and still are on some of the same issues. Months after getting the trailer the dealer was reattaching the sofabed in the back room for us. To date it has been done four times and is still loose.

Last year on our trip to Wyoming with our friends Bill and Vera the face of the drawer on the same sofa came off. I added extra fasteners only to have the plastic drawer break up.

Returning from Florida in April we had a blowout which did a lot of damage. At the time we thought we had hit a pothole. Late August we were returning from a trip in Ontario and had a second blowout on the same side destroying the repairs that had just been completed.

We found out the tires were made in China. If we had known where those tires were from we'd have had them replaced before taking delivery of the trailer. The only North American made trailer tires are made by Goodyear. Even Michelin is now making their trailer tires in China. Too many bad things happening with those tires.

We also run a Pressure Pro Tire Monitoring System. Both tires just blew with no previous air loss so we had no warning alerting us to a problem. Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.

Kirby said...

Other RVers have had similar problems with their tires. It seems that most manufacturers cut corners by installing tires that are not rated as good as they should be.

George said...

Our Keystone 5th wheel has blown at least 4 tires over a six year period, I have Goodyears installed & so far so good. The trailer is not overloaded & the tires are new I must confess I have pulled the trailer at 70 MPH but no more We will stay at 55 to 60. The last blowout took out the floor in the kitchen area.

SmallRVlifestyle said...

This is my biggest fear going down the highway. Im glad you are safe.